Heartburn is a burning chest pain or discomfort that often occurs after eating 5.
Symptoms of heartburn include:
- A burning pain in the chest that usually occurs after eating and may occur at night 5,6.
- Pain that worsens after eating or when bending over or lying down 5,6.
When to see your doctor?
It is important to see your GP if you have recurring heartburn and any of the following:
- Heartburn occurs most days for 3 weeks or more 5,6.
- Symptoms persist despite use of over the counter medications 5,6.
- You have difficulty swallowing 5,6.
- You have persistent nausea or vomiting 5,6.
- You have weight loss because of poor appetite or difficulty eating 5,6.