When you are constipated, passing stools becomes more difficult and less frequent than usual 4.
You may suffer from two or more of the following symptoms indicative of constipation 3-6.
- Fewer than 3 bowel movements per week
- Straining to have bowel movements
- Lumpy or hard stools
- Sensation of blockage in the rectum that prevents bowel movements
- Sensation of incomplete defecation
- Needing help in emptying the rectum, such as using hands to press on the abdomen and using a finger to remove stool from the rectum