What is sumatriptan?
Sumatriptan is the active ingredient in Migraitan® and is in a class of medications called selective serotonin receptor agonists (or 5HT1- receptor agonists), also known as triptans.
Triptans work by narrowing blood vessels in the head. They may reduce pain signals from being sent to the brain and blocking the release of certain natural substances that cause pain, nausea and other symptoms of migraine.
Is Migraitan® suitable for children?
Migraitan® is suitable for adults 18–65 years only. Always read the label/leaflet.
How to take Migraitan®?
Migraitan® is available for all adults aged 18 to 65.
- Take ONE tablet as soon as possible at the first signs of a migraine headache.
- If your symptoms start to come back, you can take a second tablet after 2 hours. You must leave at least 2 hours after the first tablet.
- Swallow each tablet whole with water.
- Don’t take more than two tablets in 24 hours.
- Don’t take more than two tablets for the same attack.
- If the first tablet does not provide any relief, Don’t take a second tablet 3
Always read the label/leaflet.
I am pregnant or breast feeding can I take Migraitan®?
You should talk to your doctor or pharmacist before taking Migraitan® if you are pregnant or breast feeding. The use of Migraitan® during pregnancy or breast-feeding is not recommended unless this has been agreed with your doctor. Always read the label/leaflet.
Do I need a prescription to take Migraitan®?
Migraitan® is available from your pharmacist. Speak to your pharmacist to buy Migraitan®. Your pharmacist will make sure if you meet the criteria for ongoing use of Migraitan® as part of your migraine management.
I am driving. Can I take Migraitan®?
Drowsiness may occur as a result of migraine or its treatment with sumatriptan and this may influence the ability to drive and to operate machinery. Always read the label/leaflet.
Does Migraitan® contain Lactose?
MIGRAITAN® contains Lactose. If you have been told by your doctor that you have intolerance to some sugars, contact your doctor before taking Migraitan®. Always read the label/leaflet.